We had a great day today exploring ESRI open tools in the GIF. ESRI is interested in incorporating more open tools into the GIS workflow. According to www.esri.com/software/open, this means working with:
- Open Standards: OGC, etc.
- Open Data formats: supporting open data standards, geojson, etc.
- Open Systems: open APIs, etc.
We had a full class of 30 participants, and two great ESRI instructors (leaders? evangelists?) John Garvois and Allan Laframboise, and we worked through a range of great online mapping (data, design, analysis, and 3D) examples in the morning, and focused on using ESRI Leaflet API in the afternoon. Here are some of the key resources out there.
- Main ESRI Open Information: http://www.esri.com/software/open
- Slide deck from today: http://slides.com/alaframboise/geodev-hackerlabs#/
- Afternoon example using Leaflet: http://esri.github.io/esri-leaflet/
- ESRI's developer toolkits: https://developers.arcgis.com/en/, including
Great Stuff! Thanks Allan and John